Is rain water safe to drink?

Is it safe to use rainwater?

Rainwater by itself can be considered reasonably safe to drink. The risks of using rainwater come from the way the rain water is collected, stored and used.

Rainwater from roof tops

Roof tops are a logical place from which to collect rain water. Rainwater collection systems, rainwater screens and rainwater filters are readily available.

Being exposed to the elements, roof tops also attract airborne bacteria, possums, bird droppings and numerous types of contaminants. As the rain water flows across a rooftop, it can become very contaminated with particles, bacteria and viruses.

Rainwater from car parks

Car parks tend to accumulate even more contaminants from cars, people, animals and the general surroundings. Water collected from car parks often contains larger particles, leaves, oil & grease.

How to safely use rainwater?

We can break down the problems into 2 steps – filtration and disinfection

Filtration removes the suspended particles from rainwater. The type and number of filters depends on the source of rainwater, flow rate and pump pressure.

Disinfection is best done with a conservative UV dose, with minimum 40mJ/cm2 UV dose at the end of UV lamp life. Depending on the application details, a higher UV dose may be recommended.

Advance C™ Series is very popular for reliable UV disinfection of rainwater.

Contact us if you have any questions about rainwater treatment or UV disinfection of rainwater.